Savings Angel

Cut your grocery bill in half!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Proverbs 31:12

She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
So this verse seemed straight forward but as I was praying and meditating on it I wondered what word was used for evil, so being me I went and looked it up
bad, evil
A) bad, disagreeable, malignant
B) bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)
C) evil, displeasing
D) bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)
E) bad (of value)
F) worse than, worst (comparison)
G) sad, unhappy
H) evil (hurtful)
I) bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)
J) bad, evil, wicked (ethically)
1) in general, of persons, of thoughts
2) deeds, actions
I found it interesting that the word used could have so many meaning the ones that stuck out to me the most were disagreeable, unpleasant and unkind. At times I can be all of those things and yet it says she will do him good not evil all the days of her life, not just when things are going right or she's in a good mood. But no matter what.
Then I though well if evil has all these different definitions what about good:
1) good, pleasant, agreeable
A) pleasant, agreeable (to the senses)
B) pleasant (to the higher nature)
C) good, excellent (of its kind)
D) good, rich, valuable in estimation
E) good, appropriate, becoming
F) better (comparative)
G) glad, happy, prosperous (of man's sensuous nature)
H) good understanding (of man's intellectual nature)
I) good, kind, benign
J) good, right (ethical)
Pleasant, agreeable, appropriate, becoming, glad, kind and benign were the words that spoke to me the most. When JD and I talk about what kind of wife I want to be or what kind of mother I want to be I have used all of these words. Do you remember the book Pollyanna and how she played the "glad" game? I am wondering how different the atmosphere in my home would be if I did the same thing? So for the next week I am trying it, no matter what happens I will find something to be glad about. I think sometimes we underestimate the power of the words used in these verses it's not about not doing evil to your husband in our modern day meaning of the word but it's about so much more. So ladies will you work with me for the next week on making sure we display behaviors that have more to do with the meaning of good rather then the meaning of evil?

No comments:

Post a Comment