Savings Angel

Cut your grocery bill in half!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Prince or a Knight?

Like every little girl, I wanted to be like Cinderella.


Well, I didn't want all those chores, and the crazy woman on my case, and the lousy wardrobe or the nasty sisters.


But I wanted the good stuff, like the ball,the mice that helped me, and the fancy dress, and the prince.


Ah, the prince. What girl didn't want to end up with him? He was dashing, and handsome, and obviously the point of the whole story was that he was such a catch that every woman wanted him.

But what did he really do? I mean, carrying a shoe around in your pocket and knocking on doors didn't exactly take any heroics. A shoe salesman could have accomplished the same thing, for goodness sake.

Why do we keep allowing our daughters to grow up believing the same old stories? Why aren't there any stories where Cinderella kicks the prince to the curb and marries a knight? Now there's an ending I could get behind. That would change things up a bit, in a good way.


I could get behind a story like that because I didn't marry a prince. I decided I didn't need that to have a happy ending. I married somebody who is much more like a knight. I'm so happy that I did!

What is the difference between a prince and a knight? Let me tell you how I see it. Storybooks show it differently, of course. But these are my thoughts:


A prince soaks in the royal bathtub while he awaits news that the knight has killed the dragon.

A knight kills the freaking dragon.

A prince feels elevated from birth. He is born into his title. But he waits for more.

A knight earns his title, and it is enough to know that he is worthy of it. He wants no more.

A prince has long shapely nails and he doesn't like to get dirt under them.

A knight has broken them long ago, holding swords, burying the dead, and working long hours.

A prince feels pretty brave, if he has an army in front of him, protecting him.

A knight has the courage of a warrior, and the heart of the fallen.

A prince doesn't really want to die...isn't there anyone else that can do it? 

A knight knows that death is part of the job. He is prepared to die to do his job well. He fears it not.

A prince does not want to get his shoes dirty, because his page worked so hard to polish them.

A knight leaves bloody footprints from his wounds, as he staggers back to go another round with the enemy.

A prince enjoys it when his subjects bow before him, showing that they honor him.

A knight needs no bowing, he is honored to do the job set before him.

and

A prince is royal

while

A knight is loyal...


A prince gets down on one knee, while a knight might just throw you over it!

(I have to admit, I debated adding that one, but those that know me well will get a chuckle out of it.)




Quite different types of men. Important distinctions, don't you think?


I am so thankful for my knight.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! :)

    Hugs,
    Tamara
    http://apronstringsandholythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete