Savings Angel

Cut your grocery bill in half!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

15 Favorite Spices

 
1. Garlic-I use it in almost everything I make.  I fresh but if I am going to use powdered I use Lawry's
 
2.Whole Peppercorns- If you can do this rather then pre-ground I guarantee you that the flavor is richer.
 
3. Oregano-I like to use the leaves and rub it between my hands to crumble it then add it to the dishes. Though normally associated with Italian dishes it actually mixes well with a large number of foods including roasted and stewed beef, poultry, game, marinated veggies, potatoes, cheeses and eegs combinations, onions, shellfish and roasted bell peppers.
 
4. Basil- Again I try to use fresh Basil, almost anything that you would put oregano in you could also put in Basil. For the most intense flavor, basil should be added at the end of the cooking process.  Prolonged exposure to heat will cause the oils to dissipate.
 
5. Paprika- Sweet paprika is mild and often appears in seasoning blends for barbecue and chili.  It is also used to add some color and taste to pale dishes such as deviled eggs.  I love to use this spice in goulash and chicken recipes. It is also used in many recipes for middle Eastern cooking.
 
6. Rosemary- A pungent herb with a slightly, minty, piney and gingery combination of flavors.  I use it with almost any meat, especially when it is roasted.  It also goes well with cheeses, eggs, a number of different veggies, potatoes and can be used with many other herbs like Chives, Thyme, Parsley and Bay.
 
7. Saffron-This spice is expensive but worth it because just a little bit goes a long way. I prefer to use the threads, remeber when using the threads it is best to soak each thread in 3 tablespoons of water for at least 2 hours before using. When determining how much saffron to use please remember that the flavor is stronger the second day.  In general, just a little pinch will do for a serving of 4 to 6 people.  I like to use it when making rice or risotto.  It is also great in soups, beef stew or tomato based sauces.
 
8. Sage-Sage has a piney, lemony, peppery flavor that is great for chicken or pork.  It also gives soup and stews a robust flavor. I also use it to enhance the flavors of tomatoes, corn, asparagus, squash, tomatoes, carrots,beans, onions,Brussels sprout, oranges, garlic, lemons and cheese.  I crumble fresh Leaves into the dish.
 
9. Thyme- It has a green taste with something of a clove aftertaste.  It blends well with lemon, garlic and basil.  I also use it as a garnish for salads and chowders.  It can be used with almost any meat, casserole, soup or vegetable dish.
 
10 Parsley- It has an easy gentle flavor and works well in blending other spices.  I love to use this with a roast or in soups. 
 
11. Bay Leaves-Bay leaves are highly pungent, with a woody flavor and have a slightly minty aroma.  They can leave a bitter taste is used to much, so be careful.  I normally use them whole and then remove from the dish once it is prepared. Bay leaves can generally be used in any dish containing liquid. I use it for soups, stews and tomato sauces. It is also go in shellfish boils, stuffing's and marinades.
 
12. Tarragon- It has a hint licorice in flavor.  I like to Use it to make a delicious herb butter for vegetable.  I also use to make a salad vinaigrette and for flavoring a roast chicken. It enhances the flavors of many foods but don't use to much as it can easily become overpowering.  I use it on any kind of meat along with potatoes, carrots, most mainstream vegetables and tomatoes.  It also goes well with lemons and oranges.  I use it in a lot of cream sauces, herbed butters, vinegar's, soups, sour cream and yogurt. 
 
13. Onion Powder- I love to use onion powder and it is one of the few where I prefer it powdered to the actually herb itself. IT often accompanies meat - especially mince and meat dishes such as shepherds pie and meat loaf which would be insipid without it. Onion is also widely used in soups, pickles and cooked vegetable dishes, sauces, hearty casseroles, and bean and lentil dishes. It is a common ingredient in marinades, and an onion studded with cloves is often a main flavoring in stocks and bouillon's.
 
14. Cilantro-It has a pungent taste that you either love or hate.  Again I use it fresh.  I also at times will use it in place of Parsley.  Some of my favorite things to do with it are make a fresh salsa,chutney or tomato salad.  I also love to use it to flavor marinades or in a crust for chicken.  It also goes in every Mexican dish I make.
 
15. Arrowroot-I use this mostly for thickening sauces. It works best on acidic foods like a fruit sauce.  It will not make the sauce go cloudy as other thickening agents do.  The lack of gluten also make it a great replacement for wheat flour when baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment